Jarrell ISD Cougar Mentor Program Mentors Are…………
• Caring supportive adults
• Positive role models
• A powerful influence on children
• From all walks of life
• Willing to help a student increase his/her self –awareness and realize his/her full potential
Jarrell Student Comments about Mentors
“She thinks I’m smart”
“I’ve stopped saying, “I can’t do it.”
“She’s almost the only friend I have.”
“I’m a lot happier now”
“She helps me solve problems”
“It’s great having him. He encourages me. He’s helping me stay out of trouble”
Who are the students with mentors?
• Students from all grades
• Students from different backgrounds, interests and needs
• Students who may need help with character development, self- esteem, relationships with
peers or academics
• Students recommended by teachers, counselors, parents or students themselves
How do students with mentors benefit?
• Students exhibit improved behaviors and better academic achievement
• Students self-esteem and confidence increases
• Students receive encouragement to stay in school and graduate
• Students improve interpersonal relationships with teachers , family and friends
Our Programs Student mentoring:
• At all three campuses
• Time commitment-1 hour a week
• Games provided
• Be a friend!
Be Somebody for Somebody!
• Read to a pre-k or kindergarten child!
• Time –about 20 minutes a week
• At elementary campus only
• Books provided or bring your own
• Help create a good beginning for our readers
For more information contact:
Laura Buckley-512-746-2170 ext. 2005